Monday, April 9, 2018

Foothills quilt qal

I put the sashing on this Foothills quilt yesterday. I really like it. I will finish up the borders today. I cut my sashing at 3.25 inches. I cut the borders at 6 inches. I used a red with a black design that you can't see in this photo.

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Midnight at the Oasis for Pat

 I made myself a Midnight at the Oasis quilt by Jen Kingwell But this isn't it.
This one is for my friend Pat who told me I never made her a quilt. "But I taught you to quilt." Doesn't cut it apparently. So I told her I would make her a Midnight quilt if it would get me off the hook. I told her I would use her scraps so it would have more meaning for her. Here is the result.

I just did raw edge applique for the leaves.

Blocks for the last border.

Basket block in all 4 corners of the 3rd. border.

Quilted and bound

Close up of the quilting and back. 

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Sweet land of liberty quilt along April blocks

I didn't judge my word placement very well. I embroidered then added the flying geese.

Cut off the letters just a little. Wasn't about to redo it. ha

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? My son(22) asked where Spongebob was. I said I have some spongebob fabric from years ago maybe I'll put a piece of him on the back of the quilt. I think I will put an Uncle Sam in the quilt somewhere. I'll probably replace one of the angel blocks with Sam when it comes time to sew that block.

Sweet land of liberty sew along

I got all of my pieces put together for January, February and March. 

Hard to believe I just started this about 2 weeks ago.

I've been obsessed with getting caught up.

I love this thing.

I used an ombre green fabric for the vines. I really love the affect and the brightness. It really stands out. I decided on red lettering so I didn't want too much red for the berries that's why I went with a solid purple.

I gave my short squatty eagle a head and beak.  

I made my letters way too big.  I cut them out with my sillouette machine. But I really like them spread out across the top. What are your thoughts?

Monday, April 2, 2018

Sweet land of liberty parts 2 and 3

I got a late start on this quilt along as I was doing the Foothills qal.
I am currently working on the economy blocks for the right border and then I will add the applique parts to the top border. I made my top border wider because I need the extra room so I don't cover the state parts. Hope you like my version.

I made my basket block too small so I made it my own with my state song, state motto and state shape.

I made my eagle a bit large so I'm not sure if I'm going to add extra stars yet.

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Sweet Land of Liberty quilt along

I just started this new quilt along that is being hosted by Humble Quilts. She is giving sizes only for the blocks. You have to draw and draft your own objects to put in the blocks.  This quilt is based on a pattern by Cheri Payne. She designs primitive quilts. I drafted my own house and USA letters.

I made this basket too small so I am adding filler squares and some embroidery. I printed out what I'm going to embroider and I will applique the state of Nevada.

I have to embroider over these words. I wish I would have made them bigger. Permanent pen was used so it will have to be. I really like the brightness of the blue and star.

Foothills quilt progress

Here are some more blocks for the Foothills quilt-quilt along.

I finished all 25 of the blocks. 

Here are all 25 blocks arranged like the original antique quilt. The last few blocks are not exactly the same colors as the original quilt because I was trying to use some of the pieces up that I had already cut. Now all I need to do is find the perfect sashing and backing for this. I'm leaning toward red as in the antique version. I will probably add a border as well.
This is the antique quilt I have been replicating. Some of the colors are hard to make out.

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Wickedy Jig stitchery

I picked up this wool stitchery pattern at Road2California in January. The pattern is by 
Reets Rags to Stitches. I cut out the wool pieces and forgot to reverse the pieces. I didn't even notice until I had to put the letters on the banner. So I had to cut a few more letters. 

I was figuring out the placement of the pieces.

The pumpkin man is supposed to have shoes but he's going to go barefoot for me. I got most of the stitching done all by hand. 

Foot Hills Quilt a long

This is the first block of the foothills quilt a long by 

These are a pile of fabrics that I'm probably going to use to complete the quilt.

Here are some others that I might use. It's a scrappy project that looks to me like a patriotic quilt.
It is based off of an antique quilt. 

Sunday, January 7, 2018

Road Trip quilt

Basted and ready for quilting.

I quilted a simple wavy design side to side but not on the states.

I used fusible web to adhere the states. Then I outlined them close to the edge with a straight stitch in black thread.

Sewing Room Sampler BOM

This was a block of the month from my local quilt shop. The pattern and fabric was included for the top and binding. The backing was extra. I used a flannel backing from Joann's. 

I custom quilted this with my longarm machine.

The circles in the sashing were a design done by computer. The buttons also have a computer design in them. I free handed the background.

I had fun with the sewing machine. 

The dresses turned out really cute.

Computerized border.

Flannel back. Gray binding.