Saturday, May 25, 2013

DORM ROOM GRADUATION GIFT

I was invited to my friend's daughter's graduation party. They are not lacking for money so I tried to come up with something unique.  So I perused the internet dorm rooms that are posted out there. What a mess!! lol  So I came up with a clothes pin bag and decorative clothes pins. I want to put magnets on the back of these painted ones. I cut scrapbook paper then modpodged it on. I painted the edges with a coordinating color then when it dried I modpodged the entire thing.
    This is the begining of the clothes pin bag. A baby hanger. I have a ton. My boys are 21 and 17. I give them away when I can. Cleaned the hangers with dish soap and water and dried them.

Here is the finished bag. I got the tutorial from,  http://blog.christyscreations.com/clothespin-bag-tutorial/ . The few things I changed were, 1. I lined the inside back of the bag with contrasting fabric that matched my binding. 2. I rounded my bottom corners. 3. I made a slight gap between the binding edges when I sewed it together. She had them butted right up against each other and now that I made mine, her method was probably better as it sags open a little.

 
The second hanger is wrapped with oxygen tubing. I know what you're thinking. What?? Well it is actually extension tubing that is about 15 feet long. I asked if I could have it after my husband had knee surgery and they gave it to me.  I didn't know what I was going to use it for at the time. But it would make a great clothes line in a dorm room I think. Or a room divider. How about when you come in from the rain and need somewhere to hang your wet clothes. Hang paper, pictures etc. I am going to include some command hooks so they can be removed. This stuff can also be cut to size with a regular pair of scissors and tied in knots on the ends. What can you think of to use it for?? Let me know in the comments.


3 comments:

  1. Very nice work - I made one last summer - wish I'd lined mine and not rushed it as yours clearly looks more stylish for having the extra time spent on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute. Cute. We are your newest members of your blog! Come follow us back. Thanks!

    Anna and Sarah
    quackadoodlequilt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great gift!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the encouragement. We all need a little of that.
Thank you for visiting.